Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Christmas Gift

I am the type of person who gets overly excited when I get someone a gift or if someone tells me they got me a gift. I have gotten better, but too many times I guess what my husband got me and he is learning to be trickier. I also tend to want to give it early, whither its birthdays or a holiday. So Christmas has been painful for me because my husband loves to wait to Christmas day to exchange gifts. We went to his parents for Christmas and normally we do our own Christmas gift exchange beforehand. He asked me to wait and we could do all gifts together.
Now let me just stop and bunny trail here for a minute to explain myself. My family is split 3 ways plus being married and friends Christmas is more like a 2 week celebration for me or Hanukkah.
This year I knew I got him an amazing gift, I got him a board game that he has been talking about for like a year. Well I bought it, like a good wife. Every time he asked me what game I wanted to play I wanted to hand him his gift. Christmas day comes and Mark is thrilled. As soon as possible we start trying to put the game together and read the instructions. Now we are minor game geeks, but I did not realize Mark had never played this game. We sat for at least 2 hours (not lying) trying to read the instructions. Now we are both literate and it was written in English. We could not figure the game out. To the point of frustration and we gave up.
Currently there are 340 Million people who do not have Gods word in their own language (www.wycliffe.org) I think Mark and I had a small taste of what it is like to read something and not understand. I was so excited to share this Gift and Mark was so thrilled to receive it; only to realize the complexity and feeling like we couldn’t understand the language. Now I have some training in Spanish and Russian. If you were to hand me the Gospel in either my understanding of God would be horrible limited and frustrating. So give thanks to God for former missionaries who translated your bible into English, and praise for the translation work going on now to give people a gift of His Holy Word. Pray for the continued work that people can hear and read God written word in their own language.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite blog of yours so far:-) Love the connections God's putting your life between even things like board games and the reality of his profound kingdom. He has blessed you with a beautiful clarity and simplicity about His Kingdom. May we all come to that same clarity:-)


    Jessie

    ReplyDelete