Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Branch Spiritual Retreat

Last week we had a 3 day branch spiritual retreat and I wanted to take a moment to share some impressions of the retreat. The topic of the retreat was pain and change. Currently the branch is about to embark on a season of redesigning some of the structure and makeup of the organization here in Cameroon. Over the last few years as everywhere money has been tight and this was no exception here. So, fittingly before we started our annual branch business meetings we first discussed the topic of pain and change!

One of the areas that I was reflecting on these few days was the irony that we cannot avoid pain and change. The more we try to avoid both pain and change the more we are trying to control things that which are not ours to control. Now, I am not saying that certain things that we do to ourselves cannot spare us some pain in life, but generally speaking we cannot stop change from happening. The beauty is that as we let go of trying to avoid and control these things the more we give them to God and the more he is able to work through these times in our life and allow us to fully experience the highs and lows in life. I call this choosing joy, as happiness comes and goes, but joy is a way to live life when you give your life over to Christ.

Another area that I don’t think I considered enough is if I don’t change I am no longer relevant to unbelievers. This for me has been and will be a fine line to walk in my life. As change happens to a culture or to a country that you live in, you must realize what the changes are and adapt in ways that allow us to be in the world, but not of the world. When I lived in the States I liked to call myself counter-cultural as I am against many of the ways that are “popular” or “normal” in our mainstream culture, but I must never disconnect myself from my culture. Let me explain this more. I must learn how the people in my culture are searching for the something to try to make them whole. If I can see what and how they are searching I am better able to: build a real relationship with that person, understand their pain and brokenness, and share with them a different way of life that can bring healing and wholeness to their life. I cannot connect and engage the person in a real relationship if I am completely disconnected from how they have changed and adapted to life in their culture over time.

These were just a couple of insights I had while at our 3 day branch spiritual retreat. I feel refreshed and renewed as we came through this past week as the retreat finished on Good Friday and then celebrated Resurrection Sunday. Such perspective and appreciation to prepare for Easter and to more fully appreciate the sacrifice of Christ as he willingly chose to die for my sins even before I knew him.

Joy and Peace in Christ
Mark and Leah Janowiak

No comments:

Post a Comment